Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Great Enchantress

Biblioteca de Catalunya
In a recent book, Robert Hughes calls Barcelona an "Enchantress". With its rich mélange of languages, foods, architecture, and people, the city captivates visitors and offers many opportunities to discover and learn about Catalunya and about its largest city. Most people come to Barcelona looking for monuments, artworks, food, and nightlife.
Plaça del Rei
My first experience of Barcelona was scientific. I was finishing an edition of a 13th cent. text and needed to consult an important witness housed in the Biblioteca de Catalunya. Tedious, practical, extremely meticulous work with no time and money for frivolous tourism. I spent days in the library, but at night I would venture to the area near Plaça del Rei to soak in the history and culture. In the course of those few days, I discovered rich traditions, history, language, and energy. And this splendid city changed me. When I return to the plaças and ramblas of Barcelona, I again seek to discover the various facets Barcelona..

What will you discover?

No comments:

Post a Comment