Monday, June 2, 2014

Barcelona 2014

Barcelona

In 2014, I will once more be directing the KU Summer Language Institute in Barcelona. I always look forward to returning to this impressive city.

The city's landmarks are plentiful, spectacular, and welcoming. The Ciudat Vella houses many structures from the Middle Ages and Renaissance. The Eixample developed during the 19th-century contains wide boulevards, incredible Modernisme buildings, and imposing monuments to the city's emergence as an economic powerhouse. The neighborhoods of Sarrià, Gràcia, and Pedralbes lend a small-town flavor to this metropolis of nearly 1.6 million.

View of Barcelona from the mirador Blau.
And Barcelona is much more. I like to ride the Tramvía Blau to the mirador that overlooks the city. I absorb the vast beauty of this city and look for the moon to rise over the Mediterranean.

And I visit Santa María del Mar with frequency to study the Catalan Gothic and absorb as much medieval as possible. Of course, there is the required stroll to el Born to sample the tapas from the establishments in that area.

A sentimental favorite of mine is a visit to Café San Telmo on the Carrer de Buenos Aires. The ambiance is comfortable and relaxed. Usually filled with people, but never too crowded. Food is usually well-prepared, served with simplicity by pleasant staff.


Most of  all, I return to reconnect with this city and to discover new places, share time with old friends. I did the tourist thing years ago. When I return to the plaças and ramblas, I seek to discover the various facets of Barcelona.

 What will you discover?

No comments:

Post a Comment